Esteban Gutierrez has been given a post-race penalty after colliding with Romain Grosjean during the Italian Grand Prix.
Gutierrez clipped the Lotus on the main straight, suffering a punctured right-rear tyre. He eventually crossed the line in 19th place, two laps down.
The stewards handed him a 20-second penalty which dropped him to 20th places behind Marcus Ericsson.
According to the stewards Sauber had offered a mitigating factor for the collision. “The stewards accepted the explanation of the team that car 21 [Gutierrez] was experiencing brake problems,” they said in a statement.
Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn described the collision as “unnecessary”.
2014 Italian Grand Prix
- Hamilton voted Driver of the Weekend for third time
- Monza keeps up F1’s run of satisfying races
- 2014 Italian Grand Prix fans’ video gallery
- Sponsor watch: 2014 Italian Grand Prix
- 2014 Italian Grand Prix team radio transcript
Image © Sauber