AlphaTauri have confirmed Yuki Tsunoda will drive for them in the post-season test at the Yas Marina Circuit one week from today.
Tsunoda is widely expected to be confirmed as Pierre Gasly’s team mate at AlphaTauri for the 2021 F1 season. Gasly’s current team mate Daniil Kvyat indicated following Sunday’s Sakhir Grand Prix that he does not expect to remain at the team next year.
“I really appreciate how everyone at Scuderia AlphaTauri has helped me to prepare for this session, and I also want to thank Red Bull and Dr Marko for giving me this opportunity,” said Tsunoda.
“During the session, my focus will be on following the team’s instructions and giving my feedback to the engineers. It will also be a chance for me to learn as much as possible and help my own personal development.”
AlphaTauri team principal Franz Tost said Tsunoda “showed at the test in Imola that he is a fast learner, able to easily get familiar with the car and was able to constantly improve every lap, so we decided to have him test with us at the Young Driver Test on the Wednesday after the race.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton