Williams will bring an upgraded aerodynamic package for their home race this weekend, but it will only be available for one of the team’s two drivers.Alexander Albon, who has scored all of the team’s three points so far this year, will run the upgraded parts on his FW44. Nicholas Latifi will continue to drive the team’s car in its previous specification.
“We have an updated aero package for this weekend, which will run on Alex’s car only as we look to check its behaviour and confirm that it is working as intended,” the team’s head of vehicle performance Dave Robson confirmed. “The bodywork and floor form the basis of the upgrade and are intended to efficiently increase the downforce of the car.”
Robson said it is important the team makes progress with its development package this weekend as its opportunities to test it in practice at next week’s Austrian Grand Prix will be more limited.
“The new parts… are likely to change the balance and the handling of the car and it may take a little bit of time to harness them so that the drivers can get the most from them,” he said. “With next week’s race in Austria being a Sprint event, we will be looking to get as much learning done this weekend as possible.”
Other teams including Alpine and Aston Martin have indicated they intend to bring upgrades to this weekend’s race at Silverstone.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2022 F1 season
- Horner “not really” surprised by Binotto’s departure from Ferrari
- Stroll falls further behind Vettel in their second and final year together
- Give up a place or take a penalty: Why did F1 handle these incidents differently?
- Verstappen’s impressive fightback ensures Perez’s early promise is short-lived
- F1 needs Ferrari to remain competitive after “big recovery” – Domenicali